Tuesday, April 10, 2007

OF TRIBALISM AND RACISM.

No one chooses to be born, we are just brought into this world blinking, kicking, wailing and hungry like crazy!!!

It’s amazing how annoying and disturbing being on the receiving end of tribalism/racism can be, one initially goes numb before reacting. Why? Because tribalism/racism is meaningless, small, stupid and one naturally is bereft of a sensible response!

I must confess I have not always had sincere feelings towards Malawians of Indian origin, or Asians of Indian origin (help me out here!), anyway you get the drift, because I feel they look down upon local people (lets make as much money out of these people attitude before they know all we did was import these cheap shoes from China but price them on the Italian model), hoard goods, underpay and ill treat the Malawian employee, with statements like ‘ngati ntchito siufuna, basi tilemba wina’ or ‘dziko wanu, ndalama wathu’ being rather common, and there is no effort on their part to integrate! Well, give or take a few who have unofficially taken up indigenous Malawian women, but as they say you could count the fingers of one hand and not complete them all of how may unions they are between the two- They’ll play with indigenous Malawian women but wont let their own indulge, let alone be seen! with an indigenous Malawian man......... ****?!*!!*!?! Generally in the few countries I have travelled to in Africa these attitudes have created general animosity and resentment from the local populace. It is these issues that simmer continuously (slowly coming to a boil) under the surface that eventually ‘blow up’ – I hope they will be addressed in due course before such calamitous scenarios or are exploited as per the Idi Amin era.

I mean, you could try and convince me that that’s not racism proper on their part but I am standing firm on this one, call it racism or separation or ‘live and let live’ but it is all semantics, there are quite a few grains of racism in the general attitude of Asian settlers towards the darker population. It could be comfortable for them because of the Caste system which has been practised for centuries in India or because they is need to protect their cultural values and way of life, but from the other end of the rail track it does not always seem that way.

In time I have come to realise that my view that all people of Indian origin are racists was too general and in itself racist as well, despite the large number of them enjoying, wallowing or partaking in these sordid, unbecoming, cowardly and unwelcome practices there are a few that are well meaning and some that have overcome their ignorance.

The issue however remains that all racism/tribalism is borne out of ignorance and fear (they’ll take our land, our women, our way of life, our money, clog our welfare system…etc.), for neither the perpetrator nor the victim had a hand in their birth, tribe or skin colour, so tell me, from what premise can one perceive or infer superiority or inferiority therefore? Ignorance, Intolerance, smallness...

In most cases Racism/tribalism is practised by the type that is in the majority, the deviation in that perception is that of racism in Africa which is normally practised by the minority…….

Lets just work and walk the earth humans! and appreciate our beautiful diversity.

2 comments:

  1. May I start by saying "One should not feel superior or inferior on account of their colour, tribe or any other classification that one has not achieved, but merely was born with."

    I salute you for the wisdom in this blog, as a Malawian of mixed race (My ancestrors include Sena, Tonga, Indian and Iraqi) I wish to read your opinion regarding my concerns that I am not accepted by the Indian (except by my Indian grandparents) and also not accepted by the Indigenous Malawian (again except by my blood relatives). I am particularly concerned with the Indigenous Businessmen Association of Malawi (IBAM) headed by Mike Mlombwa.

    Where doed my mixed race place me?

    Haroon Mia
    +265 8 332423
    miaharoon@yahoo.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the Indian community in Malawi, I cannot agree with you more. That is true or at least that is the general filling on the street. The danger comes is that it is an issue that people would rather not talk about openly giving the impression that everything is alright when is not. The Idi Amin thing can happen in Malawi if things remain like that.

    I however do not agree with you that racism/tribalism is usually practiced by the majority. The minority are sometimes the worse. Think about South Africa, the British in their colonies, it is all the minority.

    ReplyDelete